even trickier lately, because noone knows where they stand here on da anymore.
i think it's gotten a lot worse since the last update...
dunno if you'dve noticed, with your subscription and all, but the crit/adv crit/crit discouraged thingie has vanished in lieu of the new subscriber use only critique system, where serious critiques are logged, tagged, and displayed for all to see. (which would be cool, if casual crit tags were still an option...)
when a non-subscriber like me posts a dev, i have to spell it out in plain english. 'no crit plz'- or something. and even then, half my watchers don't even read my 'artists comments'...
now, to the non-subscribed artist, there's no big change here, i mean, it's just one less button to press, right? but for people who comment, on a deviation with no obvious written in caps preference- it's a grey zone. and some people like to give heavy crit.
if you chuck something under your devs that says 'finished work, i don't need crit or advice', you should be fine, man.
as for me, i love heavy crit. i'm no expert, so there's almost always something i can use.
stuff like "it's WRONG"...or "maybe you should just stop making art, y'know? put yourself out of our misery?"...those are a little less than useful.
the hard part is getting the skilled artists that i've surrounded myself with to say more than "i really like the (obvious attribute)"...
gotta be honest: unsolicited crits to me come across as completely rude.
I mean, if I want a crit, I ask for it. There are those 1% people who can give an unasked for crit and it's welcome (because they know how to give one when it isn't asked for) ... but the other 99% comes across as some sort of know-it-all idiotic comic book guy ranting of pointing out everything that's "wrong" in a pic.
"I don't mind it. Sometimes it's helpful but mostly it's not. I try to ignore the people who give advice I don't like." - I pick this, because most people on earth don't know what the hell they are talking about, but there's a few out there that give good opinions.
Unsolicited advice isn't tactful. A lot of people can take it, sure, and sometimes it's helpful. But it's like having someone yell something at you from across the street when you're not prepared to listen. I think a crit goes further if the person is open to recieving it and I don't think a lot of people realize that. And online it gets out of hand.