MURPHY APPRENTICESHIP, year 2!!! If you're interested in the Apprenticeship, then read below. At the bottom you'll find a link--just click to download the application WITH your finished pages to Murphy.firstname.lastname@example.org
1. 5 pages of black and white sequential art. The pages must be inked, no pencils and no "darkened pencils" using Photoshop--I want students who can do both! Digital inking is also fine as long as you bring your own computer/wacom/cintiq materials.
2. The pages can be from any genre/character/script you like. Feel free to write your own story, or use a professional one you find online (I don't know where to find them, so don't ask). The 5 pages must all be in sequence and from the same script.
3. The pages must be done recently--either for this submission or in the last year.
4. Send the files as 200dpi b&w jpgs to email@example.com --nothing too huge, please.
5. DO NOT send pencils and DO NOT send the script.
6. DO NOT use Photoshop gray tones or digital effects--I want to see your work bare.
7. DO NOT paste Sketchup models into the pages--I don't care if the industry allows it, I don't.
8. DO NOT send pinups.
9. DO NOT trace photos or Sketchup models.
10. You must be 21 years old to enroll--as long as you're 21 by October 1st, 2015 you're fine!
1. Include plenty of backgrounds. Not for every panel, but enough so that the pages don't look empty.
2. Focus on 3-6 panels per page. Stay away from splashes and spreads if you can.
3. Including some sort of tech would be helpful. The script I'll be providing you (for the anthology) will have a car or motorcycle in it, and part of the course will include lessons on handling machined objects.
1. The apprenticeship starts on October 19, 2015 and ends on November 2, 2015.
2. Along with 5 pages of sequential art, the students will also fill out an application (which we will be provided in the coming week) due by July 5th.
3. I'll choose 10 students by July 10th, then begin Skype interviews for the following week.
4. 5 students will have been chosen by August 1st (it would be a good idea for the students to arrange travel in this month). They will have until August 31st to sign the contract and submit their nonrefundable $1000 deposit.
5. The remaining balance will be due September 30th, as well as your flight itinerary. If we do not receive your remaining balance by September 30th, your spot will be given to an alternate.
6. Students will arrive on Sunday the 18th at the Portland (MAINE) airport where I'll pick them up. Classes will be in session from October 19th through November 2nd. These extra few days will be used to finish up pages, scan them in, clean them up and size them correctly for publication.
7. Food costs will be each student's own responsibility. There is a kitchen to cook in and likely we will dine together as a group and all chip in a little bit of money for large in-home meals.
THE TWO WEEK BREAKDOWN
The goal is to put together an anthology that Sean and Katana will be writing. Sean will be doing 10 pages, while each student will be expected to complete their 5 pages by the end of the session. So week one will be about preparing for the 5 pages, while week two will be spent completing the pages.
Part of week one will be lessons about storytelling, analyzing movies, going over layouts for the 5 pages, and working on character designs. Sean will also be teaching tips on how to handle things like perspective and drawing techniques. Discussions about the business of comics will be peppered into each day's work schedule. And as we'll all be spending a lot of time together, other tidbits about surviving in comics will likely come up.
Week two will be spent drawing and inking the pages. We'll all be set up in the same room, so I'll be working on my own pages while hovering around students who might need help.
Once the work is all finished, we'll move forward with printing out the anthologies. And within a few months, students will be able to sell them at conventions to help them recuperate the cost of the Murphy Apprenticeship.
While this will be a lot of fun, it'll also be a lot of work. I want serious, well behaved, and hard working "do-it-yourselfers" who are willing to work late nights for 6 days a week in order to complete their 5 pages if need be. There will be no smoking in the house, and alcohol will be limited on the property.
Interested? Click the link below and download!